Saturday 5 March 2011

The month has been a little up and down. On the upside, it seems that the studio has turned into something like the Shrublands Lambing sheds. It seems we have a few more newly made grandparents in my classes and they seem to be younger than ever. Annie Owen's daughter has had twin girls, my niece has also had a little boy Oliver and Vicky Bingham has also had a grand son.

As for myself I have had a rough month with a poor competition during the month but I think I am over it now and back in the river Deben with a short swim last Sunday and a great swim this morning as well as training on Friday morning at Deben pool. Also Lyn and I have taken up ballroom dancing, It has been great having something to do together. I think March is going to be a little better than February with the promise of better weather on its way, so with the hope of warm weather I expect a few of us will be getting the gardens back into shape. So lets get back to some basic information on how to survive the garden. Stop at regular intervals, change job's from time to time and have a cup of tea or similar throughout the morning.

The studio has been busy. We seem to be getting back into full swing but we still have a few clients who are suffering from bugs of one type or another, and this is giving me some worries about what we should be doing to get them back on their feet again. So for those who have been down with some of these illnesses a suggestion: take your time rest as much as possible and when you are ready a little light exercise is always the best thing to do. The other thing I have noticed is that a few of you have been having problems with the cold weather, the joints and muscles are suffering a little too, so take your time when exercising.

Woodbridge school is on half term at the moment. I have been impressed with the work the youngsters have done this year so far. All have pushed themselves further than I thought possible in the last two weeks of the half term.

The Ipswich Town Football Club seems to have moved on from the changes in the club in the new year and all seems to be going well with them. I still miss Shane Supple and David Wright, the past players, but I still keep in touch in one way or another and both are doing well.

Ipswich Cardinals have been giving me a lot to think about. I get to see them twice a week for a short time on Wednesday and Sunday afternoons. Last season the team finished well as semi-finalists and have upped their training to two hard sessions a week without too many problems so far into the training season.

Dance East has decided to increase the number of classes in the next term on a Tuesday afternoon at 5.30 to 6.30. I believe that this class will be running as a booking system only. Other than that all is doing well at Dance East. We hope to be running a Dance East session on the web site but this has yet to be confirmed.

The Council office classes are also doing well at the moment and I hope all are enjoying the classes.

Gilmour Piper. Andrew's web site should be up and running by the start of the month. I am hoping to see Tom during March in the hope he will be able to sort my shoulder out. Tom has been working out hard in the gym on a regular basis to get ready for his Hockey. I am hoping to get out on the road with James if the weather starts to warm up. Luke Jackman is looking great in the pool, training in the water on a regular basis, I am not sure how much training Mark Newman has done since the birth of his son I should think he and Emma have a lot on their hands at the moment. Mark Piper has been away for a week or so, we have not seen much of him, but he seems pleased with the football club at the moment. Andrew has just got back from sailing and has a great suntan and looks as if he has enjoyed himself.

Ipswich and Suffolk Club is getting very busy at the moment even with Barbra away. At times it's a little like a scene from a Carry On film, with my words being changed a little. The other Friday I said to one of the pupils that it might be a good idea to place a ball between her legs and at that point I lost the whole class. At least Jackie was not in the class, she would keep giggling throughout the session and it's very infectious, I did have to leave the room to calm down, it does takes me back to Shrublands days.

A few things have happened this month and I thought it might be nice to address these issues in the hope it might be helpful to your basic First Aid techniques.

The aims of First Aid :

To Preserve Life.

Prevent the condition from worsening.

Promote Recovery.

If you have never had any basic first aid training call for help. Do not move the casualty This can be done by calling for the emergency services on 999 or 112 and/ or shouting for help.

Basic First Aid has three things to look out for,

Airway - is it blocked?

Breathing.

Circulation.

Check the airway by looking in the mouth to see if there are any obstructions. Gently tilt the head by lifting the chin a little and listen for breathing. At the same time look to see if the chest is rising and falling and feel for breath on your face.If absent call 999 or 112.

If the above is present and all is well check for circulation. This can be done by checking for bleeding.

Promote recovery. Only give first aid in accordance with your training and call for help 999 or 112.

Keep a First Aid box in the home and in the car. Most First Aid containers are green with a white cross and wording on the box.

For your home the minimum suggested contents will meet your needs.

A guidance leaflet.

20 individual wrapped and assorted sizes of adhesive dressing.

2 sterile eye pads.

6 triangular bandages.

6 wound dressings.

2 large sterile wound dressings individually wrapped and unmedicated safety pins.

Disposable gloves.

You should have no Creams, Lotions, Potions or tablets.

It is always best to take a basic First Aid course on a regular basis to keep you up to date with your skills.

I have been asked to write some of the recipes down from Shrublands on the website so I thought I would ask Maria for some of the dishes that were used in the clinic. so if any one has any favourites I will arrange for them to be written down for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment